Project Title: Disaster Risk Reduction and Humanitarian Preparedness Project
Supporting agency: Oxfam in Nepal
Project Period: April 1, 2019 to March 31, 2020
Project Target Area:
• Ishnath Municipality - 1 (Banjaraha)
• Katahariya Municipality - 2, 4 & 5 (Katahariya & Hathiyahi)
• Rajdevi Municipality - 3, 4 & 6 (Rajdevi & Basatpur)
• Rajpur Municipality - 2 (Fatuha Maheshpur)
• Paroha Municipality - 1, 2 (Jingdawa & Belbichhawa)
Rautahat district has diverse topography, complex geology and it is exposed to many natural hazards such as floods, cold wave, fires & extreme weather events. These unexpected disasters trouble the functioning of the whole district. It causes great amount of damage to the humans, animals, environment as well as property. So, for the reduction of these disasters, RDC Nepal in support of OXFAM, has been implementing Disaster Risk Management and Humanitarian Preparedness Project since 2012 in Rautahat district. This Project has built the capacity for disaster preparedness for better response, enhancing the adaptive capacity and resilience of the communities to Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR). The project is being implemented according to multi hazard approach; as it has also addressed the water, sanitation, and hygiene issues of the community. Due to the trend of flood hazard was increasing across the district affecting most of the municipalities, the program was designed to address the potential effects of hazards adopting the community based disaster risk reduction approach.
Program modality had been more focused on mainstreaming disaster through municipality level planning process. Similarly, WEGs were enrolled in local cooperatives and these cooperatives are supposed to advocate mitigation related issues with local governmental body. In this project, community had been trained for the disaster preparedness, response and cooping the local risk that they face in future. Community have engaged in the WEG and these WEG is converted into Cooperatives and now became the leader of their own resource. Women were the major pillar of this project and they have developed their leadership skill for decision making process of local government.
Rautahat is one of the most vulnerable and disaster-prone districts of Nepal. Each year, this district has been bearing a great loss because of natural disaster such as flood, fire, drought and so on. This project aims to strengthen local capacity for emergency preparedness through a Community-Based Disaster Risk Management approach and to increase the resilience of livelihoods through the prevention of natural disasters. Disaster risk reduction is the concept and practice of reducing disaster risks through systematic efforts to analyze and reduce the causal factors of disasters. Reducing exposure to hazards, lessening vulnerability of people and property, wise management of land and the environment, and improving preparedness and early warning for adverse events are all examples of disaster risk reduction.
Rural Development Centre Nepal has strong coordination with the local governments of Rautahat districts and in the intervention of programs coordination and collaboration is done for effective implementation. In the intervention there were major contribution of municipality in the construction of evacuation centre whereas we provide the technical support. As well we played role of DLSA in district, therefore, our presence is in the District Disaster Management Committee (DDMC) and have engagement in the decision making, disaster preparedness and response process. We worked with the vulnerable community people, Palika, Government of Nepal, agency and other development agencies to pursue equitable and sustainable human development goals through eradication of poverty, increase in livelihood opportunities, and improvement in community resilience against conflict, disasters and impact of climate change.
To strengthen local capacity for emergency preparedness through a Community-Based Disaster Risk Management approach and to increase the resilience of livelihoods through the prevention of natural disasters.
Local level, Cooperatives, WEGs, WDMC, W-WASH-CCs, Municipalities, Schools, Female Community Health Volunteer (FCHV)s, Child clubs and others potential Stakeholders.
- In collaboration with Local government an evacuation centre has been constructed with technical support and budget of RDC/Oxfam which cover at least 660 households of the highly flood vulnerable community of Rautahat district for the sheltering during flood situation.
- Capacity building training was arranged for key agency and stakeholder for IRA data collection through mobile application.
- Capacity building was one of the parts in this project to enhance engagement of local government in disaster preparedness and response. Local government was capacitated and LEOC was established.
- In the process of disaster response, close coordination and collaboration was done with local government, which has supported in distribution of relief items without any duplication and reach the needy beneficiary.
- The vulnerable community were engaged in the awareness and capacity building activities, through which they were capacitated to manage the flood situation in community level.
- Search and rescue tools and materials were provided to the LEOC to strengthen the capacity and trained to use these items.
- Through the project, district level coordination meeting of DDMC were supported as well provided human resource support to DDMC in information management in the flood disaster, which has enabled DDMC to operate and response the disaster.
- Risk profiling of Ishnath Municipality was done and the details incorporated in the BIPDAD portal of Government of Nepal.