Nepal has experienced a period of sustained heavy rainfall from the second week of August 2017, resulting in large-scale adverse impacts on lives, livelihoods, and infrastructure across 32 of 77 districts. Almost half of Rautahat district has drowned. In case of Rautahat district, 18 people were dead, 3 people were missing and 3 people were injured according to District Disaster Relief Committee of Rautahat.
Children, families, and communities require sustainable approaches towards resilience building so that they can mitigate, respond to, and recover from multiple hazards and disasters including floods and droughts without eroding development gains. To address the scenario, Rural Development Center (RDC) Nepal successfully implemented Early Flood Recovery Project - Livelihood and Shelter project with the support of OXFAM Nepal from January 15, 2018, to May 31, 2018, in Rautahat district.
- To Distribute Agriculture input support to flood victims.
- To distribute soil reclamation Support to flood victim small farmers.
- To develop the tools of microenterprises.
Project Location: Ishnath, Rajdevi, Kathariya and Rajpur Farhadawa Municipality.
Target Beneficiaries: Poor, vulnerable and marginalized flood-affected communities.
- More than 95 % of women beneficiaries hold key positions in all groups and members also in MPCs and PMCAs to develop leadership. Still necessary to advocate for participating lead farmers in the major pot of the functional bodies.
The programme remained successful to achieve the set objectives and expected results. The following are major achievements.
- Stakeholders, specifically newly elected representatives got clarity on the role of local government in flood response.
- People are well knowledgeable about EFR and its Budget.
- It helps good governance
- 30 people of different age, religion, Cast were able to prepare business plans.
- Training empowers the girls and women for developing their business and farming's as well.
- Training was able to support in the business.
- Participants were well knowledgeable about business, raw materials, Marketing, and packaging.
- 549 people with different age, religion, caste had collect support (349 have agriculture support and 200 Mosquito net.
- Almost 2 Bigha (1.5 Hector) soil will reclaim after treatment of soil.
- Small farmers were supported to restart their farm with small support.
- More demand then opportunity.
- Women are less interested in business.
- Huge demand but fewer materials.