Project Title: Provision of Education in Emergency (EiE) Support Flood Affected Children in Nepal
Supporting agency: Unicef / World Education
Project Period: December 15, 2017 to August 14, 2018
Project Target Area:
Working Rural/Municipalities: Gaur, Rajdevi, Rajpur, Paroha, Isnath, Baudhimai, Kathariya, Garuda and Fatuwa Vijaypur Municipalities and Yamunamai & DurgaBhagwati Rural-municipality.
Total # 0f schools: 53 schools among 11 Rural/Municipalities.
Rautahat is situated in mid southern part of the Terai region, a part of Province No. 2, is one of the seventy-five districts of Nepal. The district, with Gaur as its district headquarter, covers an area of 1,126 km², total households 106,652 and the population is 686,722 (CBS 2011). This district has a total of 16 municipalities and 2 rural municipalities (new structure). 33.4% people are living under poverty. 41.7% people are literate among them 32% are women and 51% are men. The district lies in vulnerable situations.
A destructive flood came dated on the 30 July 2017 Rautahat. The flood caused a huge amount of damages and losses. This has been the first time ever in the history that all the Terai districts had been affected by the floods simultaneous.
There are total # of 370 schools (Primary-216, Lower Secondary-66, Secondary-69 and Madarsa-19) in Rautahat district. According to District Education Officer (DEO) Rautahat, through the flood 16 schools fully damaged and 200 schools partially damaged. Due to the circumstances, education has been affected of the children.
After this, Rural Development Center (RDC) Nepal Rautahat has started conducting Provision of Education in Emergency support flood affected child in Nepal program since 15 December 2017 among 53 schools and 9 municipalities and 2 rural municipalities with the support of World Education (WEI). Under the program, we ensure access to education for the most vulnerable girls and boys in the flood affected area as well as make them able to continue their education through WASH repair and maintenance and educational kits support.
- To ensure access to education for the most vulnerable girls and boys in the flood affected areas.
- Be able to continue the education of girls and boys.
- Flood affected children of schools from Rautahat district.
Total Beneficiaries of Project:
- Total # of children 22095 (10775 boys, 11320 girls and 148 differently able Children.
- Total # of 77 toilets and 49 drinking water have been repaired.
- 67 ECD Kits, 168 School kits and 6744 Students kits have been distributed among 53 schools.
- Total # of 540 Teachers and SMC members have received an orientation on the use of educational materials as well how to cope with the situation of hazard and disaster especially during flood.
- Consistency of the students has been increased in the schools.
- The student attendance rate has been increased in the schools.
- Municipal and Ward level authorities assured to resolve the issues of the school in the coming days, as teaching and learning environment, Physical assets, Construction of classrooms and compound wall.
As coordination and cooperation play a pivotal role in the accomplishment of the work/activities, we can achieve the goal and accomplished the activities in time with coordination and cooperation with Schools, Wards and Municipal level stakeholders.