Project Title: Nutrition Food Support 2018
Supporting Agency: Islamic Relief Nepal
Project Period: July 18, 2018 to September 04, 2018
Rautahat is one of the highly affected districts by the Nepal flood 2017. The flood has further worsen the scenario and will spike the already poor food and livelihood insecurity as well as protection issues arising due to loss of shelters, Non Food Items (NFI), Food Items, Clothes, Livestock. Rautahat is the most poverty stricken district in the country, where nutrition related condition is evident. The district is socially backward with high relative poverty. Recurrent Flood in the area coupled with pre-existing poverty and deprivation has impacted on hunger and nutrition status of the community. Considering the need of the poorest of poor Muslim families, Islamic Relief Nepal and RDC Nepal jointly worked to support such families.
With the technical and financial support of Islamic Relief Nepal, Rural Development Centre (RDC) Nepal successfully implemented Nutrition Food Support 2018 (Qurbani) Programme in Ishnath municipality, Rajpur municipality, Paroha municipality and Yamunamai rural-municipality of Rautahat district. Under this programme RDC Nepal in technical support of Islamic Relief Nepal initiated to provide nutrition food support to marginalize and flood affected poor Muslim families and temporary relief and happiness in their lives during the festival in Qurbani 2018. Meat is the staple diet of most underprivileged communities in Nepal. It is also proven to be a high protein diet for people in impoverished areas. People preserve it for long periods to cope with food insecurities and shortages. The other aspect is the religious significance of performing and consuming Qurbani meat in Nepal.
- To provide nutrition food support to marginalised and flood affected poor Muslim families and temporary relief and happiness in their lives during the festival in Qurbani 2018.
- 1779 family beneficiary received food pack.
- Total beneficiaries = 12210
- Total males = 6022
- Total females = 6188
- Total children (ages 18 and under) = 6708
- Total adults (ages 19 and above) = 5502
- Total disables = 111
- Average family size per HH = 6.86
- Average weight of food per pack = 5 kg
- 37 distribution points/areas were used for the distribution.
- All the beneficiaries were Muslim.
- Poor coverage of mobile network limited communication between project team and focal person. Network problem at some villages for message flow due to which time to time information was hard to get.
- At most of the distribution points, community arranged some weighing machines and weighed the food pack but not at all distribution places. So providing weight machines at all the distribution points would be effective and fruitful.
- Printed carry bags were limited though plain carry bags were in enough quantity.
- No provision of financial support in caring animals.
- No provision of financial support in transporting animals.
- Community people, who did not fall in the criteria of beneficiary, were demanding food pack support from distribution.
Nutrition Food Support 2018 (Qurbani) programme was a very genuine help that had been provided to the poor Muslim families. Even the poor Muslim families had been able to celebrate the festival. This program helped poor people to enjoy and celebrate their festival equally.