Project Title: Sanyukta project
Funding Agency: World Education Inc.
Project Period: January 1, 2020 to March 31, 2020
Project Target Area:
- Garuda Municipality
- Yamunamai Rural Municipality
- Rajpur Municipality
- Direct Beneficiaries: Stakeholders of Garuda, Rajpur municipality and Yamunamai Rural Municipality, RDC Nepal and JJYC
- Indirect Beneficiaries: All the children involved in hazardous work
Child labour is a global human and llabourrights issue that affects us all. Child labor denies girls and boys of their right to a childhood, to a good education and to grow up safe and protected from harmful works. It was seen that children from Rautahat district was involved in hazardous work for long hours, for little or no pay and have no knowledge of their rights. So, to provide technical support to Municipalities/rural municipalities in order to create "Child Protection Guideline" for the elimination of worst forms of child labor, World Education Inc. in partnership of RDC Nepal implemented “Sanyukta Project” in three areas of Rautahat District.
The "Sanyukta" project, which was implemented by RDC Nepal with the support of World Education Inc.in three municipality/Rural Municipality of Rautahat District, aims to support the relevant local government bodies to develop the "Child Protection Guideline” in order to make the child labor free communities. The purpose of the project was to bring together a variety of stakeholders from Palikas to identify child labor from different areas (such as e.g.: Brick Factory, hotels and restaurant, garage, embroidery shop and so on) and play an important role for the elimination of the worst forms of child labor.
- Develop a guideline to build up the capacity of local representatives and employees to eliminate child protection, child labor and exploitative labor.
- Capacity building of campaigns of National and community organizations to eliminate child labor and labor exploitation.
- Share the guideline with respective agencies which is developed on the basis of existing policies, rules and laws and discussion with the related stakeholders.
- Apply of guideline to develop the capacity of government employee of respective Rural Municipalities and Municipalities and representatives of local government to eliminate child labor and exploitative labor.
- DPAC meeting was organized including 48 participants to provide information on projects intervention as well as project modality, to orient them regarding the project strategy and setting up monitoring and evaluation mechanism of the project and also to create coordination and collaboration with stakeholders.
- Initial Planning meeting on Capacity Building of Local Government was carried out which includes 22 participants to provide the brief introduction of World Education Inc. and their activities on elimination of child labor and trafficking with the local government of Nepal and to build the capacity of Municipality staffs on child labor and exploitation concept and their roles and responsibility on elimination of child labor.
- Initial Planning meeting was conducted among 33 participants to share and discuss various programs initiated by the World Education and to take their suggestion on how to prepare directives in order to eliminate child labor from the society.
- One day sharing workshop was organized including 41 participants to know the perspective of local government and discuss on how the local government can work to eliminate child labor and labor exploitation issues permanently from the society.
- Two days consultative workshop was conducted with 37 participants where the participants of each palikas actively participated in the group work and presented their view on the roles and responsibilities of stakeholders to eliminate child labor and labor exploitation and also made a commitment that they will work together to eliminate child labor and make their district child labor free society.
- One day sharing workshop was conducted including 23 participants where the participants from Yamunamai Municipality shared their learnt experience from previous workshop and the participants of Rajpur Municipality actively participated in the group work and presented their view on the types of child labor found in their community.
- Time management of stakeholders were too much difficult.
- All the stakeholders could not gather timely.
- For the last event, stakeholders from Garuda municipality were unable to show their presence because of municipality council meeting.