In support of UNDP, Rural Development Centre Nepal has implemented Social Cohesion and Democratic Participation (SCDP) in Chandrapur and Garuda municipalities of Rautahat district from March 2019 to November 2019 in coordination with Youth Groups, Local Leaders, Marginalized Community, Religious Groups, Ethnic Groups, Local Bodies, Religion Guru, Maulana and other key stakeholders.
The current socio-political situation has polarized the community and have made them more reactive. In the previous years, many communal conflicts have been seen in Mathiya, Narkatiya, Bairiya, Gamhariya Birta. The major reasons behind these incidents were communal feeling and social discrimination. The district has past records on higher religious conflict between Muslim and Hindu which needed immediate attention for social cohesion. Hence, the project called Social Cohesion and Democratic Participation was introduced.
- To promote social cohesion between Hindu and Muslim as well as other ethnic groups (Dalit and Non-Dalit).
- To create opportunities for youth to gain capacity for better future and contribute to local development activities.
- Municipal Level Project Advisory Committee was formed in Chandrapur Municipality and strengthened their capacities.
- Established and operated of Community Information and Service Facilitation Centre through youth mobilization at Chandrapur Municipality.
- Establishment of Youth Volunteers Centre (YVC) for promotion of volunteerism. Various activities including sanitation, youth mobilization, GBV campaigns were initiated and organized by these trained youths.
- Interfaith council, Inter-religion motivational conference, stakeholders’ meetings like peace building activities were implemented for social cohesion. They involved in promotion of social harmony and inter-religious activities to disseminate the message of friendship and neighborhood.
- The project intervention created a common platform to bring all ethnic and religious groups together for collaboration and to understand each other’s co-existence, feelings and needs.
- Mayor and deputy mayors were engaged in the district level events to include all sections of society in the service available at local government.
- Throughout the project, around 1950 directly got engaged in various events.
- Meeting, discussion and planning on regular basis to volunteers helped us to achieve the targeted objectives on time.
- Youth Mobilization initiates marginalized people and youths to seek services from local government.