Project Title: Sanga Sangai the Learning Together Project
Supporting agency: World Education
Project Period: Feb 15, 2016 to November 2018
Though education is for all in Nepal, there are a large number of girls out of reach of education in the country. Still, a large numbers of children are not going to school and they do not have free will, access and support for the education in rural areas. Though, it is the objective of government to provide education for all the children, there is lack of access and support as per expectation. The society still is not providing much attention towards girls in comparison to boys for schooling and in most of the family’s daughters are engaged in household works. Nationwide seven million children are attending school and out of school children in Rautahat district is 84,124 (source CBS 2011). The project target areas have the highest number of out of school children in the Rautahat district. In this district more girls are out of school than boys.
Sanga Sangai The Learning Together project is specially designed for female education and empowerment along with promotion of local culture and history of the district as it emphasize on Education, Health, Vocational Training and Livelihood, Art Skill, Madarsa Education, School, IT/Computer, Child Rights, Culture Empowerment. RDC Nepal is implementing the project in Rautahat district in support of World Education.
The objective of the project is to build capacity of target children and increase awareness in education, child right, personal and environmental hygiene through non-formal education.
- Lump sum 5,000 girls to gain basic literacy and numeracy skills to continue their formal education in Rautahat district.
- To gain basic literacy and numeracy skills, valuable health knowledge, and support to mainstream in national education system of Nepal.
- To increase the impact of these intervention on girls lives, mother will be engaged through inter-generational activities, non-formal education and arts.
- To increase participation into the mainstream of education system for Dalit, Muslim and disadvantaged Caste.
The target of the project is the girls of the Dalit, Muslim and disadvantaged caste who are out of the reach of Formal Education and school dropout students due to any reason.
Areas with more population of Dalits and Muslims in whole Rautahat.
Expectation of project:
It is expected that the targeted girl children are enrolled in nearby school for the continuation of their formal education in coordination with the local partner of the project, school, guardians and parents by the completion of non-formal education.
The major components of the project are:
- Bridging Class- 3 month's non-formal educational package.
- Girls Access to Education (GATE): 9 months non-formal educational package.
- Mothers NFE: 9 months non-formal educational classes
- Scholarship: Uniform and stationeries
- Self-Employment Education Program (SEEP): 6 month's non-formal educational package
- PTA and SMC Trainings
- ICT accelerated Learning
- Mother Arts Workshop
Conclusion and Recommendations:
Participants are getting enrolled in schools. The project has focused to increase participation into the formal education for Dalit and Muslim. As per the objective, the project is going smoothly to address the educational issue in a predetermined way. The project is running smoothly in the localities. Community people and schools are coming forward to cooperate and coordinate which can be said that it is a positive aspect of the program.